当英国人说“You look lovely”,
Often little white lies can paper over what we actually want to say. Most of these were considered either completely harmless or tactically necessary depending on the situation in which they are delivered .
1. I had no signal.
2. I haven't got any cash on me.
3. Nothing's wrong –I'm fine.
4. You look lovely.
5. Nice to see you.
6. I'll give you a ring.
7. We're just good friends.
8. We'll have to meet up soon.
9. I'm on my way.
10. No, your bum doesn't look big in that.
11. Sorry, I missed your call.
12. I'll give up tomorrow.
13. I'm not angry with you.
14. The traffic was bad.
15. I've had this for ages.
16. It wasn't that expensive.
17. This will be my last pint.
18. I didn't get your text.
19. Of course I love you.
20. Our server was down.
21. I don't eat too much –I have a slow metabolism.
22. My watch stopped.
23. No, I'm afraid I haven't got a spare five minutes.
24. I've got a call on the other line.
25. I'll phone you back in a minute.
26. I've got a terrible cold.
27. This tastes delicious.
28. I didn't have that much to drink.
29. I've been in meetings all day.
30. I stayed in and had a quiet one.
31. It was THIS BIG.
32. I'm working late tonight.
33. I bought the last one.
34. I'm not ready for a relationship.
35. It's just what I've always wanted.
36. I'm going to have one more for the road.
37. I wrote your number down incorrectly.
38. You look like you've lost weight.
39. My car wouldn't start.
40. I didn't realize you fancied him/her too.